Special Note on the code of Student Behavior
DFES strives to help each student under its care, to become an independent and responsible learner who is not only aware of appropriate and acceptable social behaviors, but also able to monitor his / her own behavior. Beyond academic skills, we strongly emphasize on the learning and development of how to make appropriate choice about their own behavior and how to accept reasonable and logical consequences when his/her behavior may be inappropriate. Whenever a situation of inappropriate behavior occurs, the school staff or class teachers or administrator concerned will listen to individual student’s side of the story and then determine whether he/she has made a good or bad choice of his/her behavior. Accordingly resolves suitable follow-up actions with the hope of changing or improving his/her misbehaviors.
Given below are some of the consequential actions of misbehaviors.
· Reprimand or Warning: If this is first time, and it is relatively minor infraction, he/she shall be given opportunity to talk with the staff or administrator concerned, who will remind the student/s concerned of the rules and our expectations.
· Parent contact: The teacher, the counselor or administrator will inform student’s parents of the misbehavior by either telephone, letter or by E-mail.
· Parent Conference: The school Counseling Committee will hold a meeting with the parents of concerned student and discuss his/her misbehavior and resolve suitable plan for improving it. For students having no parents or whose parents are far away-stay in our locality, we would meet with their relatives or local guardians. The class teacher, parent and student concerned would be asked to attend the meeting.
· Restitution: Student/s will be asked to pay for damages he/she/they have created, perform a service for their school community, prepare positively reinforcing project that are related to the misbehavior and will be asked to write or express words of apology if he/she/they have hurt someone in the process.
· Teacher Detainment: These are request by the teacher for student/s to return after school to class to make up work or because of some behavioral infraction. This is usually, unless the teacher arranges it, to be observed the same day, in the classroom or in the assistant headmaster’s office, and will end on or before 4:30 pm. Whenever any teacher decides to apply detention, it must be notified to the VP/HOC for better coordination. The VP/HOC will inform the home to avoid misunderstanding.
· Detention: A detention is extra time spent after school in order to help student/s learn from mistake. During the extra time of detention, the concerned student/s will be made to carry out positive reinforcement task. The detention will be issued by the school principal. This kind of administrative detention will take place after the matter has been discussed by the school Counseling Committee. Student/s will be made to stay either in the Counselor’s office or in the Principal’s office.Progressive Discipline Case (PDC): Students who have had an excessive number of office referrals may be place on Progressive Discipline Case(PDC) by the school administrator. This means that the misbehaviors will result in substantially more severe consequence. Parents, relatives or local guardians will be notified of this status and warned that unless satisfactory progress is made by the student to improve behavior, a long term administrative detention will be imminent